Big Local is an exciting opportunity for residents to use £1m to make a massive and lasting positive difference to their communities. It’s about bringing together all the local talent, ambitions, skills and energy from individuals, groups and organisations who want to make their area an even better place to live.
Big Local projects are running in 150 areas around England. William Morris is one of these. The funding is distributed by the Local Trust. It was setup with £200 million by the Big Lottery Fund which receives a portion of money from every National Lottery ticket sale.
The aims of Big Local are:
- That communities will be better able to identify local needs and take action in response to them.
- People will have increased skills and confidence, so that they continue to identify and respond to needs in the future.
- The community will make a difference to the needs it prioritises.
- People will feel that their area is an even better place to live.
It is not about:
- The council, government or a national organisation telling us what to do.
- Individual groups fixing their favourite problem without talking to a wide range of different people who live and work in the community.
- Short-term thinking – we’ve got 10 years or more to plan and deliver the best options for our area.